, , , ,

5 Great Things About Studying Drama

May 07, 2017


Drama has been a prominent part of my life since I was around 14 years old, and I can honestly say, it changed me as a person. It helped me realise who I wanted to be and grow in to the fab person I am today. For this reason, I feel its so important for kids to study or at least have the opportunity to get involved in drama at school or in their spare time. Here are 5 great things about studying / practicing drama.

Developing confidence
One of the first things I ever developed through drama was confidence. I've always been an introvert and an observer rather than participant, but drama gave me the kick up the bum I needed and brought me out of my shell. Now I can choose when and how to be bright and forthcoming, for example, at work or at social events, then return to my solitude in my own time.

Making new friends
This is the biggest and perhaps most powerful part of drama, it brings people together that may never have connected under any other circumstance. All of my closest and longest friendships were forged through drama groups / classes. It really is a one-of-a-kind bond created between those you perform shows with and the inside jokes will live on forever - seriously.

It's hella fun!
Waking up on a Saturday morning knowing I was off to drama classes was one of my favourite feelings for the 5 years I was attending - though I often struggled to actually get out of bed, the minute I got there I woke up. My fondest memories are of those days I spent drama playing games with friends whilst developing my performance skills and building the foundations for all my future career aspirations. My favourite part was capturing some of those memories on camera through short films, its so precious and special to keep and even revisit over the years (it also makes for great blackmail material).

It's informative / educational
Drama has taught me so much, not just about the industry and art of performing but about the world and most of all, about myself. I felt I was constantly learning and exploring new ideas; it never felt like a chore, or even a struggle. For me it was always natural and fun, like I was supposed to be there. I cannot imagine who I would have become if I'd never have studied it.

You'll learn self-acceptance
This is the big one. Most drama enthusiasts are pretty quirky, but our ability to understand the human condition means we are usually one big open and accepting community. It doesn't matter who you are, your passion and talent will be nurtured, and you'll realise that all your individual traits make you the performer and person that you are; you'll finally learn to respect that.

So, are you ready and willing to join our cult now? Yes, I thought so.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter